Friday, April 24, 2009

The Manuscript Is Finally Finished!!!

Well, kinda... It won’t actually be complete until I’ve worked in the revisions suggested by my editors.

However, it IS finally in the hands of proofreaders and editors who will get they're feedback to me no later than May 15th (let me know if I've somehow overlooked you). IF all goes according to plan, the actual book will be available for purchase in mid June.

What’s it about, you ask?

The Quick Answer: Travel Memoirs through several US states and 20 countries on six continents.

The Longer Answer: It's a story about a boy from a family of limited means who nurtures dreams of traveling the world even though he knows no one who speaks a foreign language or owns a passport. Still, he holds onto aspirations of experiencing the adventures, languages, sights, sounds and wonders of the foreign cultures and places he grows up reading about in National Geographic magazine. He works his way through the University of Notre Dame, earning a Bachelor of Architecture degree, and through programs like AmeriCorps-NCCC and Peace Corps he pursues his augmented dream of uniting his three greatest passions: travel, youth development, and community service. As an adult who's worked with thousands of youth in 34 countries on six continents, he writes a book entitled Broke, but Never Broken: The Education and Travelogues of a World Traveling "Have Not" (working title), meant to inspire, encourage and assist disadvantaged youth and travel enthusiasts worldwide to follow their dreams too.

I'm giving thanks for all my friends and family helping me out along the way. If you'd like to see YOUR name on the acknowledgments page, I can DEFINITELY use help with the cover designs.

Here are a couple of ideas:





The second design is more along the lines of what I'm aiming for (Thanks, Imani!), but I am open to ALL ideas at this point. I know I need help with both covers and the spine.

Whether in words, picture(s) or both, I'd like red, black, green and gold on the cover(s) somehow. And if you can superimpose the image over the words following my signature without making it seem too busy (super light grayscale font?), I think that would be cool.

I'm accepting all designs at Azikiwe_Chandler@yahoo.com until May 15th.

Money's tight right now, as I THINK I'm going the self publishing route to start with. However, if your design is the one which actually graces the cover, you WILL be compensated at some point.

Yes, I know I should invest in Photoshop or some other graphics design program, but my laptop is too old and full (read: no memory) to accommodate such desires, even if I had the loot and time to figure it all out myself. So I’m asking the artistic and computer savvy among you to cut and paste this photo (or any from the blog) into your design program and have fun jazzing it up for me.



Greatly appreciated, Fam!

Just a quick update: I’ve been here in Africa working on the book since leading a 3-month experiential learning trip to Uganda and Tanzania for Carpe Diem International (www.CarpeDiemEducatioon.org) which ended in December. I’ve been relying on the generous hospitality of friends in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Nairobi, Kenya during this time.

On May 24th I’ll make my way to Tanzania where I’ll catch a May 26th flight to New York. I’ll be in Vermont training for my next trip – Photography Group Leader for National Geographic Student Expeditions to Tanzania! (www.ngstudentexpeditions.com) - from May 29th to May 31st. I’ll be in Charleston from June 2nd until June 16th, New York from the 16th to the 19th, and Tanzania from June 20th until July 29th.

I hope you are happy, healthy and LOVING life. I am!

Peace&Blessings,
Zik
Azikiwe_Chandler@yahoo.com

PS – If you, or anyone you know, can help me track down the photographer who took the above photo (for Peace Corps Recruitment in 2000/2001), I’d greatly appreciate it. I want to make sure she gets her credit.

Brooklyn, New York • Charleston, South Carolina • The University of Notre Dame • Rome, Italy • Pompeii, Italy • Athens, Greece • Patras, Greece • Amsterdam, The Netherlands • Paris, France • Miami, Florida • New Orleans, Louisiana • Jamaica • Ascoli Piceno, Italy • Florence, Italy • Las Vegas, Nevada • Yosemite National Park, USA • Denver, Colorado • White Sands NP, New Mexico • Washington, DC • The Grand Canyon, USA • Utah • Helsinki, Finland • London, EnglandBarbados • Dolores, Nicaragua • Bluefields, Nicaragua • Omotepe, Nicaragua • La Fortuna, Costa Rica • Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica • Bocas del Toro, Panama • Utila, Honduras • Antigua, Guatemala • Teotihuacan, Mexico • San Diego, California • Los Angeles, California • Mammoth Mountain, California • Maui, Hawaii • Catania, Sicily • Sienna, Italy • Toronto, Canada • Whistler-Blackcomb, Canada • Tiwanaku, Bolivia • Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia • The Amazon River Basin, Bolivia • Lake Titicaca, Peru • Puno, Peru • Machu Picchu, Peru • The Galapagos Islands, Ecuador • Lucca, Italy • Treviso, Italy • Venice, Italy • Finca Ixobel, Guatemala • San Andres, Guatemala • San Marcos de Atitlan, Guatemala • Monteverde, Costa Rica • Playa Langosta, Costa Rica • Roatan, Honduras • Vail, Colorado • Kalokolevu Village, Fiji • Rotorua, New Zealand • Christ Church, New Zealand • The Outback, Australia • Byron Bay, Australia • Cairns, Australia • Crooked Tree Village, Belize • Atlanta, GA • Ilsan, South Korea • The Similan Islands, Thailand • Koh Phangan, Thailand • Bangkok, Thailand • Krabi, Thailiand • Angkor Wat, Cambodia • Vang Vieng, Laos • Great Wall of China • Bali, Indonesia • Lombok, Indonesia • Gili Trawangan, Indonesia • Boracay, Philippines • Salvador Bahia, Brazil • Kampala, Uganda • Fort Portal, Uganda • Jinja, Uganda • The Serengeti, Tanzania • Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania • Bangata Village, Tanzania • Moshi, Tanzania • UAACC, Tanzania • Zanzibar, TZ • Addis Ababa, Ethiopia • Lalibela, Ethiopia • Nairobi, Kenya

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to do a bit of design so i'll give you my humble opinion on the book cover design-

put a block of color at the top and bottom. this will frame the photo and also (with the text on the color block) make the text easier to read.

don't grey out elements of the photo (the people behind you). it kind of implies that those elements are not important and seeing as though your book is about work in the community and meeting people then other people ARE very important to you.

i've saved your original photo and i'll have a go at it later.

edward povey

(i'll contact you on facebook)

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home